Sunday, December 10, 2023

Smiles, everybody, smiles

When Stephen and I sat eating breakfast this morning, I noticed a few Facebook posts from friends that led to thoughts of life churning in my thoughts. As we prepared to leave, we ran into two of my dearest longtime friends, Hank and Nancy Mascotte.

I have long known the friends we keep make the journey. Stephen and I treasure our friends. Yesterday, two of our dear friends faced the ultimate crossroads in life's journey. I "met" Beth Riches, Shane's cousin, on Facebook while I was stationed in Afghanistan in 2009. Not long after redeploying home, I met both Beth and her husband Ken. I liked them both from the word go. 

We met only occasionally, usually dining out, or when hanging out for special gatherings. In 2010, the two of them took me to see Devo in concert for my birthday. Holiday dinners, barhopping, concerts (John Mellencamp, for example--okay, Ken had to miss that one), Beth and Ken (with an assist from Matt and Shane) hosted several private concerts, inviting Stephen and me last year. At no time whenever we were together were there not laughter and good times.

Beth and Ken are the epitome of warm, caring, embracing friends. Nay--more like family. Ken was always friendly, quick to a joke, insightful comments, and a ready-knowing smile. If you ever see any of Beth and Ken's photos together, there is a constant: fun, joviality, smiles, BIG smiles (Mr. Roarke would be proud).

I cannot recall how many years distant it has been Ken when was diagnosed with a form of leukemia. After a long, tough battle Ken overcame it. Ken's strong personality would not easily accept defeat. These past six months, however, Ken's health presented him with new challenges.

Ken quietly passed away yesterday afternoon. Beth and Ken's two adult children were with him when he crossed over to what exists for us in the afterlife. I would like to think he is soaring in the stars.

Ken, you will be missed by your family and friends from all around this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment