Friday, July 17, 2009

Yuck!

Okay, now they've really gone too far!

Today, one of the most awesome landmarks of the Chicago skyline was robbed of its longtime heritage. After 36 years, the Sears Tower, the tallest building in North America, became (ugh) the Willis Tower (all I can hear is: "what you talkin' about, Willis?).

Personally, in the future I will refuse to acknowledge its new moniker!

Other name changes in recent memory that boggle the mind: Chicago Comiskey Park became U.S. Cellular Field; the Hoosier Dome (before being demolished in 2008) was renamed the RCA Hoosier Dome.

There is something just plain wrong when significant landmarks are named after corporations; the selling of a famous landmark's name, to me, is akin to a mind rape. Okay, that is pretty dramatic, but I detest corporate America feeling it has the right to plaster its name on everything from stadiums to skyscrapers from streets to college dormitories and study halls.

What's next? Here are my suggestions for renaming some familiar landmarks:

* The Trojan Empire State Building (if you get my drift)
* Big Ben Gay Clock (Clock! I said CLOCK!!!)
* The Lavender Gate Bridge (could San Francisco's landmark have been mislabeled in the first place?)
* The New York Rudy Guiliani Subway (where one can get the shaft everyday)
* The Halliburton-Enron White House (oops, that wasn't too far removed from the truth during the "W" years)
* Sure Deodorant Statue of Liberty (raise your hand if you're sure)

Okay, okay so those are all pretty lame, but my point is that renaming landmarks IS lame. It is one of those things that I find wrong with today's America... that being that we are far too easily bought out by the almighty buck.

Chicago Willis Tower? Yuck! What were they thinking???

3 comments:

  1. I hate to say this, but you're giving people ideas with your suggestions!

    Though secretly I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had the same reaction to that news. it will ALWAYS be the "sears" tower, and i refuse to acknowledge it at the "w****s" tower unless i'm doing so in a snarky and sarcastic manner.

    btw, i thought the "sure deodorant statue of liberty" was a brilliant idea!

    shane

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for stopping by my journal. I agree with you on the Sears Tower thing, shameless.

    ReplyDelete