Saturday, September 19, 2020

The passing of the Notorious RBG, 1933-2020

 


I have held my tongue about the Notorious RBG's passing... until now.

Obviously, I am deeply saddened by her passing. My heart sank when I learned this sad news while out on my evening walk.

I do not want her passing to become political. (But) It already is.

Nor I do not wish for the proceedings to replace her to get ugly (and based on what I have read on the news wires, it already is).

I do not need to state my case what I want. You all know where I stand.

Conservatives, Progressives and Liberals are already lining up for battle. You know this to be true. But I want to state a truism too often forgotten, the majority of Americans are not so black-and-white. I may be wrong, but I believe the majority of Americans are Moderates.... standing in the middle of the road--yet all too often left out in the dark in any political discussion.

Our leaders need to consider this when it comes time to decide upon her successor. Note I did not say 'replace.' No one can replace the RBG. Of course, I would prefer another liberal to assume her seat. We all know that, under the current political climate, is NOT going to happen. The best we (I) can hope for is a judge of a moderate standing.

Now, with that said, I, more than anything (here and now), want to ignore politics (for as long as I can). RBG was a daughter, a wife, a mother, but first and foremost, a human being--one who led an amazing life, one deserving of our love and respect.

What I want us to remember Ruth Bader Ginsburg for is her intelligence, her love for others, her passion, her wit, her fierce fighting spirit, her intense love for the law but most importantly, her commitment to aiding the underdog, and for her empathy and integrity.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg will be missed--not only as a Supreme Court Justice, but as a woman.

Rest in Peace, Ma'am.


No comments:

Post a Comment