Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Rest in Peace, Tom Reim

 


This photo is dedicated to the memory of my friend Tom Riem. Tom and I served together as co-directors of our church, First United Methodist Church, weekly volunteer operated food pantry for five years. We made a great team, something I have sorely missed doing since I started my job at WorkOne two years ago. We had a great deal of fun working together. I had always hoped that when I retire I would resume my duties working with him at the pantry.

Tom passed away unexpectedly this weekend (probably Sunday). He was a couple years older than me.

Let me tell you some recollections about him. Tom was a loving father. He often talked about his two daughters and I particularly remember when his daughtier graduated from college three years ago and they went to Florida to celebrate.

He was dedicated to his parents who had, up to the time of his father's death, been married to his mother for 81 years (he was 102, his wife 101). He visited them often. They lived near Traverse City, Michigan, I believe, and I never heard him complain about those long trips up.

Tom was always the first to arrive on Tuesday mornings to set up for the pantry. As you can imagine, COVID played havoc on the pantry's operations and Tom was on top of it. The week-to-week goings on went smoothly in part due to his dedication to the serving those in need.

Tom loved the church, and he had a wry wit about many things related to church, life, and people in general. He and I often traded gentle jabs with one another. He was a Trump supporter and I not even remotely. If anything can be said, it is that friendship and our dedication to the pantry transcended politics... Washington, are you listening? I am a Ford man, he an Audi enthusiast. We almost always parked our cars together (to prevent anyone from dinging our car doors).

I noticed Tom was absent from services two weeks ago and I thought that odd. Strangely enough, I even wondered if he was ill... and now I know.

So... Tom... God bless. I am going to miss you, our church will miss you, and I know your family and friends will.

Please keep a good thought or two for Tom's family.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. My condolences to you and all who loved him.

    ReplyDelete