Monday, August 16, 2021

Pulling the rug?

Right now, I am thinking of a woman who I interviewed when I was stationed in Afghanistan. She was a Major in the Afghan National Army and by trade, she was a pharmacist. While I was interviewing her she thanked me for being here and I told her I was only doing my job. And she corrected me by saying, “no, not you… your people, your Army.”

She continued by saying that when we came here and threw out the Taliban, she was given hope and she could return to her job instead of being forced to stay at home. You know the mentality, barefoot and pregnant. 

That is exactly what the Taliban expects of their women.

Women will not be educated. Young girls will not attend school. They will return to the past where young girls will be forced to marry anybody who the Taliban deems it. Women will have no voice, no say so. Forget about love. Forget about freedom. Forget about a future crafted by self-determination.

An outdated, archaic 10th century religious dogma will rule! A country led by a bunch of hate-filled, frightened men who think our future is 12 centuries in the past. 

The Major told me that by our presence there her daughters had a future.

Now, where is their future?

I am sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment