Saturday, April 1, 2023

Happy 130th birthday, U.S. Navy Chiefs

The pinnacle for any U.S. Navy Petty Officer is to achieve the rank (E-7) of Navy Chief. During the last six years of my 21-year Navy career, I was "up for" Chief five times.

In a case of coulda, woulda, shoulda, and...

For whatever reason, I was not selected, which was mostly by fault of my own. While I think I would have been a good Chief had I the honor of being selected, I think in retrospect, I did not want it badly enough. For another reason, I had a concern that, after supremely letting down a Navy Chief--he who largely launched my career--on a very important assignment, I am not certain I deserved to be a Chief.

In part, I was somewhat disillusioned by the rank. I personally know three Chiefs who I felt did not represent the ideals, one of which nearly destroyed my career in my final year of service (he, in a fit of irony, sabotaged his career and the justice of it all does not escape me).

Rather than try to single out and name the many, many fantastic Chiefs whom I had the honor to serve, Iest I inadvertently leave someone out, I want to thank the Chiefs whose dedication and mentorship made my career a joy! I will say that two CPOs from NOSC Chicago, one who literally saved my life, and the other, my Navy career, epitomized service to those they lead. To them, and all the others, I am eternally grateful!

Again, as I said earlier in an earlier post, the Navy could not run without the dedication of our U.S. Navy Chiefs.

Happy Birthday to those fine men and women!

No comments:

Post a Comment