Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Surprise, surprise, surprise


Sometimes, homophobia and racism (not to mention being thin-skinned) raises its ugly head in the most surprising of places.

I have been a long-time member of the science fiction FB page Science Fiction Multiverse. Its moderator is a bit of an egotist and likes calling himself "emperor of his domain (or something silly like that)." Heck, recently he was mad at Facebook for forcing him to use his real name instead of his self-title.

Today, he posted a story about George Takei--that's Mr. Sulu to you non-TREK fans--who called out some trolls who have been making scenes complaining the new Star Trek series isn't "white" enough, isn't "male-led" enough.

Now mind you the series has yet to air and already there are some fans... the fringe elements, if you will, who are loudly complaining about things for which they have no clue... and George rightly called them out.

The moderator of the SF group called George an idiot and I raised the question, "idiot?"

In his next post, he went on an on ad nauseum about how liberals, Asians, gays, etc. are ruining SF filmmaking. I merely replied, "Funny, I thought this was a page about science fiction films."

Next thing I know, I am cast out and blocked. Now (said in my best baby voice) "waaaaaah, I am so hurt."

I guess "his majesty" doesn't like it when people disagree with him, something I already knew to be true as I have seen him bragging about banishing other [former] members for "their transgressions."

I guess I was a little bit surprised, and maybe I should not have been. I tend to think--and it appears I am wrong about this--that science fiction fans, and especially Star Trek fans, are more forward thinking and less biased.

Anyone who follows TREK faithfully knows of the show's concepts of IDIC and respect for all things different. I remember the firestorm a few years back when the web series Star Trek Phase II - The New Voyages dared to air an episode written by David Gerrold that included two gay characters (Peter Kirk, no less).

Let's just say a whole lot of the comments were pretty base... okay, vile. So, I really should not have been surprised today.

I'd rather not have a debate going on about this... so please, if you have any comments, I don't want to read any incendiary comments belaboring the evils of conservatism (or liberals, for that matter). 

My point of even mentioning this incident was this: Upon noticing I was blocked, I immediately was struck by the words, "can't we all just get along?"

No comments:

Post a Comment