Monday, January 22, 2018

Call Me By Your Name: a review



I don't recall ever posting a movie (and in essence, a book) review on this page, but I saw this film over the weekend and was very moved by it.

I've long waited to see 'Call Me By Your Name.' I bought the book three years ago but for one reason or another, I did not get around to reading it until earlier this month, finishing it just last week. I loved it!

The film was initially released in November so I worried it would not come to town. Ever since I started looking, I could find no evidence it was to be slated to come here. I was happily surprised when it arrived here last Thursday.

The movie's screenplay admirably follows the book's plot and nuances. I think it rare that a movie is as good as its source material.

This is one of those cases where this is true. I'm not surprised, actually. The literate, moving script, written by James Ivory, captured the feel of the book. Ivory has a long history of film adaptations of some of the best-loved classic books (A Room With a View, Jefferson in Paris, Howard's End, and one of my favorites--Maurice).

The performers, Armie Hammer (Oliver), Timothée Chalamet (Elio), Michael Stuhlbarg (Elio's father), Amira Casar (Elio's mother), Esther Garrel (Marzia), and Victoire Du Bois (Chiara) were all perfectly cast.

But the film's success rests solely on the shoulders of Hammer and Chalamet. Both performances are perfectly suited for the characters and the film fulfilled all my hopes.

The film's plot surrounds a developing love 17-year-old Elio has for Oliver, his father's summer intern. This is a film of discovery and self-actualization. The lush Italian setting is as alluring as the plot and its characters.

The movie does not out and out state Oliver's age (the book states he is 24). If there is one weakness in the film is that 31-year old Hammer in no way looks 24. Nonetheless, I loved their performances.

Chalamet portrays a sensitive, intelligent teen to perfection. I liked Hammer's film Oliver better than the book. I felt he was a more caring, more in touch and just as mysterious as the book.

I heard a review last week saying that one should see the movie first and read the book after to get a better feel for the story. I have no opinion on that assertion as I felt the movie perfectly complimented the book.

Initially, this is a slow-moving film--intelligent and passionate but it builds up steam as their affair is realized and concludes in the only way it can.

I might state that the book has two endings. The first, as their summer affair ends and it concluding 20 some odd years later. I correctly predicted which ending the movie would choose and feel the filmmakers chose the correct path.

Rolling Stone called 'Call Me By Your Name' the sexiest film of 2017. I concur.

Go see the film if you want to see an expertly crafted coming of age love story. I rank this film up there with my favorite love story, Maurice (again helmed by James Ivory).

No comments:

Post a Comment