Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Oh, how the times have changed


I hadn't exactly planned on my first post for 2018 to be political in nature, and I suppose in some ways it is not. But when words come to me, it is pointless to ignore them.

We all know now President Kennedy was hardly a saint, but he was eminently qualified to sit in the Oval Office. He was a statesman; he understood the miltary; he was well connected with other world leaders and Congress, AND he served in the U.S. Navy during WWII. 


Kennedy served. He WAS a leader during the war and became a leader in Congress.

JFK did not play the "I'm a rich kid card," nor did he have any inconvenient bone spurs. He paid his dues, first serving as a U.S. Congressman... and even though he was rich, he seemed to understand the common citizen. 


Sure, some might say the same of Donald Trump, but his actions (thus far in office) belay that and really, does anyone for one second believe he gives one iota about the poor?

Kennedy WAS the real deal, not a pretender like the Donald.

When I was a boy, I wanted to be JFK. That is--before I wanted to be John Glenn. I cannot imagine any kid today saying "I want to be Donald Trump."

Yesterday, I found this children's book in our Barnes & Noble, Jr. room. 


We have a great selection of kids' books about historical figures and leaders in our store. I saw a few books on Barack Obama, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Eleanor Roosevelt, Michelle Obama, Colin Powell, and countless others.

Funny thing, I have not seen anyone rushing to publish any children's books about the Donald. Frankly, I would worry about any parent thinking Trump an appropriate role model for their child. 


I mean, can you imagine a kid's book trying to soft-pedal Trump's own words: "grab them by the ....?"

No comments:

Post a Comment