Monday, May 7, 2018

A missed opportunity

I am sad tonight. A few weeks back I accidentally found a five year old message from a childhood friend's brother. How I missed it all this time, I do not know! Anyhow I replied and waited for a response that never came. I looked at his photos and picked out a few that I assumed would be his son or nephew.

He replied and told me that he was, in fact, Dewayne's nephew. He told me his uncle died two years ago. He then told me his Dad Darryl had died a year prior to that. We talked for more than an hour and when we concluded, he gave me David's phone number.

During those early years, David, Darryl, Dennis, and Dewayne (and their older sister Judy) was a second family to me. David's Dad was an avid bowler and took us many a-time to the lanes in Logansport.

Last week I called David and was unable to connect with him and I passed along my phone number to his nephew and asked he tell David to call me.

Some history here. David Moss and I were the best of friends from the fourth through the ninth grade at Caston Educational Center just outside of Fulton, Indiana. We met in school and were fast friends. We shared a love for comic books, science fiction, Star Trek, humor, music, and especially The Archies!

During our summer vacations from school we found ways to goof off. We worked for some local farmers bailing hay. And we found ways to share our love for rock music, always our constant! And ohmigawd, the "trouble" we got into in study hall!

I've never forgotten the comic skits we wrote for our 8th grade English class. Sadly, when I was in the 9th grade (in 1971) my family moved away and we lost touch with one another. I reinitiated contact with David in 1975 not too long before I got married... and then again, David fell off the radar and I never saw him again.

Ever since joining Facebook back in late 2008, I would search the names to see if David "was here." I never found him. His nephew told me David was never interested in it.

Tonight, Dan informed me that David had been found dead earlier this evening. No details at this point. 

I'm terribly sad as I was really looking forward to reconnecting with him. David, wherever you are, I salute our friendship and will remember you well.

3 comments:

  1. ...maybe I don't comprehend the depths of your grief, but I have reason to believe that I may understand... I just found out through social media that I lost a family member ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss (as well).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned that David died from a heart attack. Sadly, while he died alone, he did die unloved.

    ReplyDelete