Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Think twice, three times before...


So Roseanne went and got herself fired and her show jettisoned from the ABC network. I find it hard to celebrate this. First off, I didn't watch the show's revival. I could not in good conscience watch her knowing she supports the Donald.

Don't get me wrong. I think ABC's decision to cancel her was imminently correct, no questions asked.

What makes me sad is that a woman (or a man, for the matter) of her talent, her influence, and standing in the entertainment community (or any community) could be so racist, so unfunny, and so wrong!

It is hard to celebrate a racist. It is, however, not hard to celebrate punishing someone for crossing the line as she clearly did.

Canceled she is. Of course, she will apologize (I'm sure she already has... and saying "it was just a joke" does not cut it), but as many have pointed out today, freedom of speech does not, cannot, shield one from freedom of consequences. *

I dislike teaching lessons such as this. A lot of talented people are going to lose her job because of her mouth. I'm reminded that when one is angry and one wants to fire off an email, that it is best to write it, set it aside an hour or two. If, after that time, the message is still appropriate it may be okay to send it.

Maybe people who reside on the twitternet should follow this maxim as well... and that goes for certain politicians too.

* yes, I am fully aware my stance on fines being levied against sports figures who kneel during the national anthem can be construed similarly. There is, of course, a huge difference. That discussion is best left for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment