Tuesday, July 5, 2022

53 years


Today, Mom and Dad (stepdad) would have been married 53 years. I find I’m thinking of our family’s loss and as you can guess I miss them both. I know my family does too.

I have a story about the wedding photo I posted earlier today. The fact that it exists is only part of the story.

On this day in 1969, Mom and Gene stood nervously with my Grandparents Jim and Betty Roberson in their front yard. We kids were there. Mom’s two brothers Jim and Garry were there. My Aunt Vickie too.

It was a beautiful sunny July day.

Mom and Dad had wanted to be married the day before, but Pastor Drake was not available. So be it, the 5th was a great day.

I’ve often wondered how Dad felt that day. He had two kids (three actually but that is a story for another day) from his first marriage. Mom, on the other hand, had five kids (my brother Gene was born the next year). I’m sure he wondered, even if only privately, what he was getting himself into.

Anyone who knows our family knows the early years of their marriage was pretty tumultuous. Mom could be difficult. Dad could be too. At times they were oil and vinegar but somewhere along the line, through the years, life settled down, and they both were so devoted to each other.

We kids have amazing stories about them both. They raised eight kids. From us came thirteen grandkids, from them 24 great-grandchildren (soon to be a 25th). I can say they both were good parents and fantastic grandparents!

When they both passed this past year, I offered their eulogy to all who were at their funerals, to listen, to remember, and share our common love.

Oh yes. I mentioned the wedding photo. Our family has always been crazy about taking photos. Sadly, none of them exist anymore. For reasons I’d rather not go into, all of our photos were lost about eight years ago.

The box of photos Mom kept survived years and years and two house fires. Maybe that explains why Mom kept the photos in their truck. When their truck was stolen, and later recovered, the box was gone, never to be seen again. All our memories, lost.

After Dad died in March, my niece Lindsay’s husband Joe towed the family car away with plans to restore it. When Lindsay cleaned the interior she came across the photo, the one that had no right to exist, but it does!

My brother Gene sent the photo to me and so I share that treasure with you all today.

Mom, Dad, happy anniversary in heaven. We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment