Saturday, September 3, 2022

We have the watch, Chief. You stand relieved.


Navy Chief Aaron Wright and I joined the Navy around the same time, serving first at Navy Marine Corps Reserve Center South Bend and later at NOSC Chicago.
 
While it would be disingenuous of me to say we were close friends, we shared a love of South Bend, the Navy, the Cubs, Notre Dame, and our families. Any time we shared a conversation it was of one of those five topics and always included a laugh or two.

One of my favorite memories happened three years ago. I contacted Aaron after seeing an NCIS episode where two Sailors were suspects in a crime. One of the characters shared Aaron's name. I joked with him that I always suspected he had a seedy element in his background. We both got a good laugh about that.

Oddly enough, we shared a short conversation just last week and I thought something about it odd but did not give it too much thought until I learned of his passing this afternoon. I wish we had spoken longer than we did.

Aaron passed away last night from a mean aggressive form of cancer. He leaves behind a lot of good friends, Navy and civilian, and a loving wife and their three children. Aaron was a good man and I will miss him. He will be fondly remembered by his fellow Sailors, his coworkers at Notre Dame and especially his friends and family.
 
Please keep his family in your thoughts.

Chief, we have the watch. You stand relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment