Sunday, November 6, 2022

Vote Woke


I grew up in the Midwest in a pro-union home in rural northern Indiana. My Dad and Mom instilled in me the sense of fairness and equality for all. I grew up in a small community that today might proclaim these ideals but I do not believe walks the walk, and definitely does not talk the talk.
 
I have always been proud of Mom and Dad (Stepmom and Stepdad too) whose enthusiasm for the future made me who I am.
 
As kids, my siblings and I found adventure in our farmhouse environment. We built forts on the second floor of our barn (inside hay and straw bales). I remember the spaceship we built in the 50-foot tall windmill. Our imaginations soared.
 
Giving to our county has always been a large part of my persona. For two years I was a volunteer EMT. After coming out, I was a youth leader for lesbian and gay teens for ten years with the hopes they’d find a kinder world than I grew up in.

I believed--and still do--in leading by example. When I was 36 I found my truest calling as a Navy journalist where I was afforded the opportunity to see the world (or was it sea the world?).
 
For seven years I was a high school teacher. I have to hope my role as a mentor was a positive influence on my young students' lives.

As we near this Tuesday's election, I remember my Grandfather Jim's fears for our nation. During the Vietnam War, as he watched the many anti-war riots, he claimed our country was going to hell. I told him we were not. Today, I fear he may have been right.

I truly believe this upcoming election will determine if our democracy, such as it is, will survive. I love my friends, family, my city, my community and of course, my country. More importantly, I love our world BUT we must become stewards that protect the big blue marble on which we reside.

I believe in equality for all, not just Americans but for all people. You can call me a tree hugger. Go ahead, I won't be offended. I am woke, a badge I wear as a badge of honor. My question to some of you is 'why are you not?' I believe in women's rights, minority rights, gay rights (naturally), trans rights, immigrant rights, combatting climate change. Yep, woke.

I abhor stupidity, prejudice, purposeful ignorance, and people who advance themselves by stepping on lesser advantaged peoples with little regard for the needs of all others.

We are an angry people and this saddens me as we have so much to be thankful for. What disturbs me is how easily some of our leaders foster and gain by promoting hate and distrust, and how so many people fall for it without question. Please, when hearing their words, please listen closely, please investigate their claims, please question their motives. Please ask yourself if their words will help all, or just some.
Do you remember John F. Kennedy's words?
 
"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country." I would, however, substitute the word 'world' for 'country.'

I ask you to do the same.

Here I proudly proclaim I am the radical left.


Since I serve as a voting judge in St. Joseph county, I have already voted. 

If you want to vote for the future, vote D for drive, not R for reverse. I voted blue. I urge you to do the same. 

Be radical in your truth.

#iamtheradicalleft

No comments:

Post a Comment